Monday, January 14, 2013

3 Hearts for You - A Guest Post for The Wood Connection!

Hi Friends!

I am so honored to be doing a guest post for The Wood Connection!

 

Do you believe in love at first sight? 

Take a trip to the The Wood Connection...  You'll certainly be smitten with all of the adorable crafts they have to do there. Good luck picking just one though! 

 I decided on the "Heart on Base and Dowel Trio"... it is so sweet! 

I chose papers from the  "Love Story" collection from Echo Park Paper Company, along with some from the "LoveBirds" collection from DoodleBug Design.  I also picked up some ribbon, wire, glitter and paint. 

To get started, lay out all your supplies: Sandpaper, a sponge brush, plastic plate for your paint colors, and your wood.  Sand all the rough spots around your project, then you're ready to paint!

 
Next comes the fun part.  Decoupaging your hearts!

 
Trace your hearts onto the patterned paper and cut them out. Using the  wood glue, add a small amount and use your sponge brush to spread it evenly and lightly.  See this tutorial for more instruction on doing wood to paper!

Now, you're ready to decorate!  I chose some additional papers and used my Cricut to cut some letters and hearts to add to my wood. 

 
I cut the word "LOVE" from the Storybook Cartridge but I couldn't leave it as is.  I decided to glitter it, using some fabulous glitter that I picked up and some paint. 
 
Paint the letters, evenly, and dump glitter onto them. I used my hand to "smoosh" the glitter into the paint. Press evenly.  Tap off the excess, and you're left with a beautiful sparkly word to use!
 
 
 For the wire element, I used some black wire from the store. After I cut the amount I wanted to use, I used pliers to start my design. I finished the design with my hands, making sure the spacing on the curls was even. 
 
 
Now, you can add all these elements to your beautiful hearts.  I used double sided tape and glue to adhere all of my elements in the right places. 
 
For the wire, I put it on the large heart along with some fabulous keys I picked up at the store. I added some black jewels and tied a ribbon on the dowel. The flower is a mix of paper ones I had in my stash.   
 


For the next heart, I added my cute glittery "LOVE" and some paper from the backside of the "Love Story" collection and cut it into a banner shape. Glue the banner on first, then the red heart.


For my last heart, I wanted to add the wings and a flower element... I'd say I have a bit of a paper flower addiction! 

 
Now you're finished!
 


Thank you so much for visiting today...  As an added bonus, The Wood Connection has given me a $25 gift certificate to give to one lucky reader! 

To enter to win: Make sure you're a follower of this blog and leave me a comment telling me you are!  Leave a way I can contact you should you be chosen.

This giveaway will remain open until Thursday, January 17th at 10pm MST.  The winner will be announced on Friday, January 18th at 10am MST. 

As side note, The Wood Connection is a local Utah company. They do not ship their products. This giveaway would most likely benefit someone who lives here, travels to Utah frequently, or is willing to travel to use it! 

Thank you so much to The Wood Connection for inviting me to do this project. 

Love definitely is in the air! 
 

18 comments:

Pink Cricut said...

Amanda, these are just too darling for words!! Perfect paper and perfect tutorial!! :)

Jami said...

These are so cute! You're such a talented woman. Love you, friend.

Unknown said...

You are just amazing!! Love this project! Of course I'm following this beautiful blog!

Unknown said...

Love!! You are so talented my friend!!

Kallie said...

You are so creative! I love these, and am definitely following this blog. :)

Alison said...

Amanda, those are adorable! The Wood Connection is one of my favorite stops when we visit Utah. :) Off to follow your blog. I didn't even know you had one! Love it!

stacienelson88 said...

CraftsManda ... you are so crafty my friend!! Beautiful work and nicely documented on your blog, LOVE IT!! Cute as always :) I am now a follower!

Tiffany Radcliffe said...

So cute, i love it!!!! i'm a new follower of the blog. i live in Utah and have never been to the wood connection, i will be checking it out now. Thanks

TINA said...

Wow! Those are just gorgeous!!! I FREQUENTLY visit The Wood Connection, so I will be copying your hearts right away! Now to the real computer to follow your blog... Thanks for the inspiration!

Amanda said...

Love it! I am going to have to have to make me some of these. So cute!
I am now a follower :)
gmebuttercup@yahoo.com

Towle Family said...

Amanda, so cute, you are so talented. I didnt even know you had a blog, I am for sure going to follow it.
Believe it or not I have only been to the wood connection once and loved all the projects in there.

Glora said...

Wow Amanda, how fun. These turned out BEAUTIFUL! I've always been intimidated by wood projects but you make it look easy and fun. I LOVE these SO much. congratulations on your guest spot! Hugs- Glora me(at)glorajean(dot)com

Ashley said...

How cute! I would love a gift card to make this and I follow you.
my email is gr82byoung(at)hotmail(dot)com

Heidi said...

These are darling! I love the way you embellished each heart so different. I want them! I just started following your blog and am excited to see what other projects you post.

heidiatwood(at)ymail(dot)com

Paula said...

These are ADORABLE!!! I am a follower of your blog and would LOVE to win the $25!! Thanks for sharing your super cute craft!

Brian and Ali Childs said...

Wow! Way to get creative on these hearts! Very inspiring! There are so many cute things at wood connection and I would love to be entered! :) Thanks for sharing all your cute creations on your blog!

Brian and Ali Childs said...

Wow! Way to get creative on these hearts! Very inspiring! There are so many cute things at wood connection and I would love to be entered! :) Thanks for sharing all your cute creations on your blog!

Cambree said...

Wow you are so talented! Thank you for sharing this project with us!